International Day of Action: #SaveLeuserEcosystem
The Leuser Ecosystem on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia is in grave danger. Local politicians want to allow logging, mining and palm oil plantations in this vulnerable area. Sumatran orangutans, rhinos, elephants and tigers are already hanging on by a thread. They will not survive the destruction of the Leuser Ecosystem.
With only a stroke of his pen Indonesia’s President SB Yudhoyono could stop the deforestation before he goes out of office.
Join our International Day of Action on the 22nd September to remind him of his promise to save the forest. It only takes four easy steps to take part:
- Print out one of our posters or create your own.
- Take a selfie holding the poster in front of a tree or get a bunch of friends together for it. The more people (and trees) the merrier!
- Tweet your photo on Twitter with the following text:
Keep your promise @SBYudhoyono and #SaveLeuserEcosystem. @endoftheicons #Climate2014
- Share widely with all your friends and networks.
The deadline for sending your photos for inclusion in the International Day of Action is at 9am Monday 22nd September Jakarta (+7GMT) time.
And for bonus points: Tweet and tweet again EVERY DAY.
Here’s some ideas, or make your own:
- Actions speak louder than words @SBYudhoyono. Protect the forests, protect our climate and #SaveLeuserEcosystem. @endoftheicons #Climate2014
- I also do not want to tell my grandchildren we could not save the forests @SBYudhoyono. #SaveLeuserEcosystem @endoftheicons #Climate2014
- Walk the talk @SBYudhoyono and #SaveLeuserEcosystem. @endoftheicons #Climate2014
- The clock is ticking down. Leave a green legacy for your granddaughter @SBYudhoyono and #SaveLeuserEcosystem. @endoftheicons #Climate2014
- @SBYudhoyono, stand for REFORESTATION not deforestation of Indonesia. #SaveLeuserEcosystem @endoftheicons #Climate2014
Happy action, and thank you!