Suspect In The Case of Tripa Peat Swamp Subject to Criminal and Civil Lawsuit | KOMPAS
Ichwan Susanto | Marcus Suprihadi
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com —Investigating team on the case of Tripa Peat Swamp will go through criminal and civil lawsuit to solve the clearing by burning of Tripa Peat Swamp in Aceh‘s Nagan Raya District. This is expected to give example on law enforcement related to environmental cases.
“We (Ministry of Environment) will pursuit through criminal and civil lawsuit. The subject of responsibility can be the person in charge, corporate or both. We’ll see how the legal filing will looks like,” said Sudariyono, Deputy of Environmental Law Enforcement of the Ministry of Environment last Friday (18/5/2012) contacted from Jakarta.
He said that the onsite investigation of this case has been finalised last week by the team of joint investigators from the Ministry of Environment, the Police and the Attorney General. Now the case is prepared for filing and call on witnesses is in preparation.
The case on Tripa Peat Swamp emerged after WALHI and other NGOs in Aceh filed a lawsuit against the Governor of Aceh, who issued a permit for 1,605 ha within Leuser Ecosystem. The lawsuit was revoked by the panel of judges.
The odd decision of on the case has reached the Presidential Working Unit of Development Supervision and Control (UKP4), which is also the Task Force REDD+.
The Head of UKP4 Kuntoro Mangkusubroto recommended that the investigators of the Ministry of Environment, the Police and the Attorney General take over the case.
Sudariyono said that the crime conducted (by PT Kalista Alam and Surya Panens Subur 2) through clearing by burning violates the Law No. 32/2009 on the Protection and Management of the Environment. From the perspective of civil right, it causes environmental damages.
- Clearing of Tripa Peat Swamp Forest Threatening Orangutan | Koran Tempo (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- The Case of Tripa Peat Swamp: Entry Point To Revision Of Moratorium Map | KOMPAS (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE: National Police Investigation in Tripa requires palm oil permits immediately revoked and criminal prosecution to avoid greater embarrassment to Indonesian credibility. (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- Actor of Violation in Tripa To Be Prosecuted (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- Press Release: Call for Enforcement of Law against illegal activity destroying Tripa’s Peat Swamps continues to escalate (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- Regency head calls for stop to palm oil development in contested peat forest in Indonesia (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- PTUN Judges Distorting The Course of Justice Over Rawa Tripa Case: Walhi Aceh (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- Indonesia to Investigate Forest Concession (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)